Since the beginning of the year the Secretariat continued to engage in various meetings in person. Since the outbreak of the COVID19 pandemic, the Secretariat continued to work and participated in virtual meetings using various online platforms. The Secretariat engaged and participated in the following meetings organized by topic:
Post-2020 Global Biodiversity Framework
The Secretariat has continued to work to strengthen collaboration with the CBD, providing inputs to different processes mainly on the preparation of the post-2020 Global Biodiversity Framework;
- 24 to 29 February: the 2nd meeting of the OEWG in Rome, joint statements on the post-2020 biodiversity;
- 1 March and 26 March: thematic consultations on capacity-building and technical and scientific cooperation for the Post-2020 Global Biodiversity Framework;
- 9 April and 1 July: briefing on pre-session documents for SBSTTA 24 related to the post-2020 Global Biodiversity Framework;
- 30 April: conference call of the Liaison Group of Biodiversity-related Conventions, progress on the preparation of the post-2020 Global Biodiversity Framework and the preparations of the Biodiversity Summit in September 2020.
- 4-5 February: preparatory meeting for the 2020 United Nations Conference to Support the Implementation of Sustainable Development Goal 14: Conserve and Sustainably use the oceans, seas and marine resources for sustainable development;
- 22 April: The Secretary General participated as panellist at the High-Level Dialogue Source-to-Sea organized by the Government of the Netherlands, the Action Platform for Source-to-Sea Management and the UN Secretary General's Special Envoy for the Ocean, H.E. Peter Thomson;
- 23 March and 7 May: 1st and 2nd virtual meetings of the advisory network of the High Level Panel for a Sustainable Ocean Economy;
- 8 June: the virtual panel “Let's talk about Oceans: Towards a decade of opportunities for the Oceans” organized by the Institute of Marine Research-Invemar and the Ministry of Environment of Colombia.
- 2 June: meeting of the Inter Agency and Expert Group on the Sustainable Development Goal Indicators (IAEG-SDGs) virtual session to discuss the updates by the IAEG-SDGs on work of the group in 2020, as well as discuss Covid-19 impacts on data collection, SDG monitoring and vulnerable groups.
- 9 June: RRI MedWet Steering Committee meeting
- 22 May: RRI-CA Steering Committee meeting
- 15 May: Senegal River Basin Management Charter amongst member countries, coordinated by Senegalwet
- 15 May: Expert Group Meeting on Promoting Transboundary Cooperation among Protected Wetlands in the Tumen River Estuary: Session 2 – hosted by UNSCAP
-Panels: GEN, Green Climate Fund
- -May 4: Meeting with Partnership for Environment and Disaster Risk Reduction (PEDRR)
- --- 5 and 26 June: UN Decade of Restoration, two meetings of the taskforce on monitoring and evaluation