Wetlands are an important component of earth’s climate system, and crucial for water security and resilience. Ahead of UNFCCC COP26, 31 October – 12 November 2021, the Convention on Wetlands is sharing new resources on this.
A Brief, attached below,on the Convention on Wetlands identifies how wetland wise use, protection and restoration can be harnessed to deliver climate change outcomes.
New publications prepared by the Scientific and Technical Review Panel provide:
- Policy recommendations for managing peatlands and blue carbon ecosystems to mitigate climate change.
- Best practices on wise use and restoration of peatland ecosystems.
- Information on extent and carbon storage capabilities of blue carbon ecosystems in Wetlands of International Importance.
The Secretariat of the Convention on Wetlands is organizing three events during COP 26:
- Financing Wetlands Conservation and Restoration for Climate Benefits – Challenges and Opportunities; 4 November, 10.00-12.00 UTC; Republic of Korea Pavilion; #COP26
- Partners for Wetlands: Decade for Wetland Restoration; 8 November, 11:00-12:00 UTC; Peatlands Pavilion; #COP26
- Leveraging MEA synergies: Peatland protection and restoration for climate outcomes; 10 November, 17:00-18:30 UTC; Peatlands Pavilion; #COP26
The Secretariat is also contributing to the following events:
- Side event “Enhancing water stewardship for climate change adaptation and mitigation”; 2 November, 16.00 – 17.00 UTC; Water & Climate Pavillon; #COP26
- Policy Dialogue to Strengthen Blue carbon’s contribution to the Carbon Neutrality; 3 November, 13.00 – 15.00 UTC; Korea Pavillon; #COP26
- Climate change mitigation and adaptation through coastal ecosystems conservation and restoration; 3 November, 17.30 – 18.30 UTC; EU Pavillon; #COP26
- NbS and Climate Change: Harnessing the power of ecosystems for adaptation and mitigation; 4 November, 13.30 – 14.00 UTC; Water and Climate Pavillon; #COP26
- Peatlands and wider wetland conservation, restoration and management; 5 November, 14.00 – 14.50 UTC; Nordic Pavillon; #COP26
- Side event ''CBD COP 15: Strengthening Synergies through the Post-2020 Global Biodiversity Framework and Promoting Transformational Change to Restore Balance with Nature''; 6 November, 11:45 - 13:15 UTC; Climate Action Room 1 of the SSE Hydro Bowl (blue zone); #COP26
- IPBC side event ‘Working together to deliver outcomes for climate, the environment and people; 6 November, 13.00 – 14.00 UTC; Australia Pavillon; #COP26
- Side-event Peatlands, Climate Change and Cultural Heritage - Global Perspectives, Problems, Solutions; 8 November, Time tbc; Peatlands Pavillon;#COP26
- Transboundary wetlands - from mitigation to adaptation; 12 November, 12:00 - 12:45 UTC; Water and Climate Pavillon; #COP26